Breastfeeding Friendly Venues
We have started a campaign to discover which venues in Scarborough, and its surrounding areas, welcome and support breastfeeding women.
Under UK law passed in 2010, in a section of the sexual discrimination act, mothers can legally breastfeed in public. Breast Friends want to highlight areas where women are made to feel welcome, encouraged and supported in their choice to breastfeed in order to ensure women enjoy their breastfeeding experience.
Companies can be issued with a "breastfeeding friendly" sticker to display so women can easily see places where they will be supported in their choice to breastfeed.
Hopefully 2016 should see Scarborough become the UK's first breastfeeding friendly resort.
Businesses signing up to the Breastfeeding Friendly Sticker Scheme, agree to:
- Adopt a welcoming, helpful attitude towards all breastfeeding mothers, thus giving them the confidence to feed their baby without fear of interruption or criticism
- Allow mothers and babies to breastfed in any public area of the venue
- Be conscious of the fact that by displaying the stickers they are making other customers and visitors aware that babies may be breastfed in your establishment
- Train staff to be positive, supportive, non-judgemental and respond sensitively if inappropriate comments are made about breastfeeding in your venue
- Provide a clean and comfortable environment to breastfeed in and, if possible, provide a more private area to breastfeed in - this will not be the toilets
- Where possible, offer to take food and drink orders over to breastfeeding mums so they don't have to interrupt their baby's feed. Breastfeeding mums say what they appreciate most is a welcoming atmosphere and friendly, attentive staff: something you can provide for free! You can also do little things such as re-arrange furniture, plants or a screen to provide a little privacy.
- Display the breastfeeding friendly stickers in a prominent position, so families can recognise your venue as being part of the scheme.